logo
  • St. Forty Martyrs Church
  • Veliko Tarnovo
  • Tarnovo

    Credits

    • failed to get markup 'credits_'
    • AIAC_logo logo

    Periods

    • No period data has been added yet

    Chronology

    • 400 AD - 600 AD
    • 1230 AD - 1700 AD

    Season

      • THE WESTERN SECTOR OF ‘ST. FORTY MARTYRS’ CHURCH (Mirko Robov – mrobov@abv.bg, Konstantin Dochev) Several farming buildings of the Post-Capital period of Tarnovo and evidence about iron metallurgy were discovered during archaeological excavations in the first half of the 1980s and the beginning of the 1990s. Remains of two single-room buildings with entrances towards the Yantra River were explored in 2005. They were built of uneven and roughly cut stones with a bonding medium of mud. The bottoms of two forge hearths of the Post-Capital period were discovered in the northern building. A small room was later added to the building. A passage paved with slabs led to the entrance in the older fortification wall dated to the 5th – 6th centuries AD and located to the south of ‘St. Forty Martyrs’ Church. Pits for garbage collection were situated in this part of the site, before the construction of the buildings. The material found inside the pits, including coins, date from the 1230s and 1240s.

    Bibliography

    • No records have been specified