This year’s excavations examined layer 3coll in quadrants 138, 157, 167, 168, 169. The material from 3a in quadrants 167 and 168 was removed in order to reach the underlying layers (3b and then 3c). These two quadrants showed the transition towards the stratigraphic sequence already explored in 1992. In fact, the paleo-surface 3a was partially covered by the greenish sandy deposit rich in pyroclastic crystals, known in published literature as 3G. The underlying layer of greenish grey sterile silt (3b) was removed. It was about 70 cm thick and had a larger clay component towards the bottom. Layer 3c below had a very sandy consistency with abundant iron manganese concretions and a dark variegated red colour. Stone and bone finds were recovered including the vertebra of a herbivore. Surface 3c was not uniform as it was conditioned by the irregularity of the travertine below.
All finds were mapped using orthophotography and a total station. Information relating to their size, type and stratigraphic position was inserted into the site’s general data base. The excavated soil was washed and sieved with a 1mm mesh in order to recover the smallest bone fragments, in particular micro-vertebrates (amphibians, birds and rodents).
A check was made on the material excavated in previous years. Work started on the conservation of the large bone fragments. The identification of the finds situated on paleo-surface 3a was also checked. This revision led to the identification of two important fragments of megaloceros that were removed for study. The operation to remove them took several people almost two weeks.
Work also began on the conservation of the paleontological finds. This was a simple process for the smaller fragments, but long and complex for the large finds, in particular vertebrae, cranium fragments, antlers, mandibles and ribs.
- Carlo Peretto - Università degli Studi di Ferrara - Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici
- Alessandra Ditta - Università Roma 3
- Bellal Abuhelaleh - Università degli studi di Ferrara
- Brunella Muttillo - Università di Ferrara
- Claudia Gianni - Università Roma3
- Dario Sigari - Università di Ferrara
- Gabriella Petrarullo - Università Roma 3
- Julie Arnaud - Università degli studi di Ferrara
- Luca Belluci - Sapienza Università di Roma
- Manuel Ballatore - Università Roma 3
- Matteo Venturini - Università di Ferrara
- Silvia Ripà - Università Roma 3
- Stefano De Luca - Università di Roma 3
- Cristiana Terzani - Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Molise
- Marco Bertolini - Università degli Studi di Ferrara
- Ursula Thun Hohenstein - Università di Ferrara - Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici
- Giuseppe Lembo - Centro Europeo di Ricerche Preistoriche di Isernia
- Carmela Vaccaro - Università degli Studi di Ferrara
- Maria Chiara Turrini - Università degli Studi di Ferrara
- Marilena Leis
- Cecilia Buonsanto - Università degli Studi di Ferrara
- Marzia Breda
- Centro Europeo di Ricerche Preistoriche
- Muséum National d’Histoire naturelle, Paris
- Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Molise
- Università di Ferrara, Dipartimento di Biologia ed Evoluzione
- No files have been added yet