In the “Artisans’ Quarter” the research focused on the phase dating to the 1st century AD, that included a sequence of rooms and structures aligned in NW/SE direction, brought to light during the 2012 excavations.
The excavations continued south of these buildings, discovering a structure – whose interpretation is still difficult at present – in the middle of a likely courtyard.
This structure, whose original plan is supposed to be rather complex, has completely collapsed; it is yet possible to guess that the elevation was made by brick fragments in the bottom and by clay on the top.
Such research has led to a better definition of events and their chronological development. For instance, it is now evident that all the buildings belonging to this phase seem to have been abandoned and systematically spoiled in the last quarter of the 1st century AD.
Within this research, it was also possible to bring to light some structures belonging to a previous phase – dated to the 1st century BC: the most interesting are some sections of at least one water drain, leaning to NW, that all share the orientation with the later buildings.
The bottom and the shoulders of these drain portions are built in brick fragments with the same technique identified in the drain to the N, excavated between 2005 and 2012. One portion develops on ten courses for a total depth of 90 cm; another one preserves on its top – probably rebuilt – the remains of a cover made by big tiles juxtaposed.
Great attention was paid to the analysis of the building techniques and of the practices of reusing materials within the walls, the floors and the drains: in particular, new variants of A. Bacchetta’s typology dedicated to the foundation walls in Cisalpina were found.
The building complex continued to the W, where two different phases were recognized.
The life of this sector is supposed to have come to an end earlier if compared to the east sector, where it continued in different ways beyond the half of the 2nd century AD.
- Gioia Zenoni - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Maria Teresa Grassi - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Emanuele Intagliata - Università di Edimburgo
- Laureandi, laureati, specializzandi e dottorandi dell'Università di Milano
- Miriam Romagnolo - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Antonino Crisà - Università di Leicester
- David Seveso - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Giorgio Rossi - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Lilia Palmieri - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Stefano Nava - Università degli Studi di Milano
- Università degli Studi di Milano
- Comune di Calvatone
- No files have been added yet