This settlement site in contrada Santa Barbara, south of Polignano al Mare, lies on the second sub-coastal rise (c. 60 m a.s.l.) at 1.5 km from the coast. The archaeological site, already known at the end of the 1940s for the presence of artificial underground structures was investigated in the mid 1970s. The archaeological area covers 25 hectares close to the first terrace of the “Murge” south-east of Bari.
This season, excavations took place in the north-eastern area of the Neolithic hut village to investigate a sector of the trench-ditch that seemed to intercept a series of underground structures that were reused in the historical period. The exploration was limited to the definition of several interesting rock-cut structures that may relate to a hypogean context, probably the entrance and one room. The later had clearly been altered in the historical period.
- Rocco Sanseverino - Università degli Studi di Bari, Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Dipartimento di Beni Culturali e Scienze del Linguaggio
- Alfredo Geniola - Università degli Studi di Bari, Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Dipartimento di Beni Culturali e Scienze del Linguaggio
- Stefano Diceglie - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Sandro Sublimi
- Angela Diceglie, DISUM- UNIBA
- Giuseppe ZACCARO – UNIBA
- Pasquale Acquafredda - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Luigi Schiavulli - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Università degli Studi “A. Moro” di Bari
- Comune di Polignano a Mare (BA)
- No files have been added yet