The 2010 campaign concentrated almost exclusively on checking the stratigraphy of the deposit inside the ditch, the so-called La Trappola, on the south side of the site.
Work was undertaken on rectifying and characterising the recording undertaken in the previous campaign both within the archaeological deposit and to its exterior. The latter, situated in the central portion of the ditch structure, was seen to be over two and a half metres high from the calcarenitic floor of the ditch. The present surface is distinguished by a funerary phase with two small stone tumuli abutting the ditch’s eastern internal parapet. Tumulus 1, in the north-west part of the ditch was well-preserved and contained the remains of an adult individual. This was an inhumation burial with the deceased in a fetal position and placed in a grave dug directly in the deposit in the ditch.
The occupation layer on which both tumuli rested produced Serra d’Alto type pottery, fragments of stone blades and faunal remains.
Beside each tumulus, to the east, there were two distinct areas of burning characterised by ash and charcoal fragments. The areas were surrounded by medium sized limestone blocks. Faunal and marine mollusc remains were found in an evident state of calcinations caused by exposure to fire. The structures, interpretable as hearths, were directly linked to the individual tumuli and had ritual functions.
During the 2010 campaign the surface on which the funerary structures rested was identified across the entire excavation area (trench I) in particular in the proximity of the hearths where samples were taken of the ashy sediment.
Furthermore, during the reclamation of a small area (occupied by solid urban refuse and rubble) undertaken by the land owner, the presence of post holes was noted. They relate to the Neolithic hut structure which probably extends below the present local road Scorze di Santa Barbara. Lastly, part of the annual campaign was dedicated to the topographical geo-referencing (using GPS) of a number of areas investigated in previous years.
- Rocco Sanseverino - Università degli Studi di Bari, Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Dipartimento di Beni Culturali e Scienze del Linguaggio
- Alfredo Geniola - Università degli Studi di Bari, Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Dipartimento di Beni Culturali e Scienze del Linguaggio
- Stefano Diceglie - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Pasquale Acquafredda - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Marcello Ciminale - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Felice Larocca - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Luigi Schiavulli - Università degli Studi di Bari
- Consorzio Universitario – Laboratorio Centro Aerofotografico, Università degli Studi di Bari
- Università degli Studi della Calabria
- Università degli Studi di Bari
- Comune di Polignano a Mare
- No files have been added yet