From 2 to 9th November 2003 the Albanian Rescue Archaeological Unit, in collaboration with the Institute of Archaeology and the Archaeological Museum of Korça, organized a rescue excavation at the medieval cemetery at Rrëmbec, discovered by chance by the landowners while extracting sand for building purposes. During the excavations were discovered 11 graves, not to mention many others destroyed before the excavations by the landowners.
All the graves consisted in simple rectangular pits, with dimensions varying from 0.90m to 2m length and from 0.50m to 0.60m width, with no construction at all. The only burial type practiced was inhumation. The orientation of the disposal was East-West with slight deviations which perhaps can be explained with burials in different seasons of the year.
In general the grave inventory was poor. Only 4 graves had finds. Other finds came to light from the destroyed graves. The most common group of finds was made by 20 complete and 4 fragmented ceramic vessels: two-handled vessels, vessels without handles, oinochoai, and cups. The inventory also included ornaments, mainly coming from destroyed graves, like earrings, finger rings, beads and head ornaments, mainly made of bronze, bronze and silver or pasta vitrea.
The comparison between the finds of this cemetery with finds from other Early Medieval cemeteries from north and south Albania made possible to establish that this group was very close to the materials discovered in the tumuli of Rehovë, Piskovë and Dukat. It seems that the Cemetery at Rrembec was used for a long period of time starting from Late Antiquity and continuing in the two first phases of the Early Medieval period in the VIII-IX and IX-XI centuries A.D.
- Maria Grazia Amore - GSHASH – Grupi Shqiptar i Arkeologjisë së Shpëtimit (ARAU – Albanian Rescue Archaeological Unit)
- Lorenc Bejko - GSHASH – Grupi Shqiptar i Arkeologjisë së Shpëtimit (ARAU – Albanian Rescue Archaeological Unit)
- Skënder Aliu - Muzeu Arkeologjik i Korçës (Archaeological Museum of Korça)
- Albana Meta - Instituti i Arkeologjisë Tiranë, Departamenti i Antikitetit (Albanian Institute of Archaeology, Department of Antiquity)
- Ardit Miti - Future of Albania's Past Project, FTSH - Fondacioni Trashëgimia Shqiptare (AHF- Albanian Heritage Foundation)
- Ermelinda Hoxhaj
- Rexhep Halili - Instituti i Monumenteve të Kulturës (Albanian Institute of Monuments of Culture)
- Surja Lela - Agjencia e Shërbimit Arkeologjik (Archaeological Service Agency)
- Florenc Cenolli - Muzeu Arkeologjik i Korçës (Archaeological Museum of Korça)
- GSHASH – Grupi Shqiptar i Arkeologjisë së Shpëtimit (ARAU – Albanian Rescue Archaeological Unit)
- Instituti Arkeologjik Tiranë (Albanian Institute of Archaeology)
- Muzeu Arkeologjik i Korçës (Archaeological Museum of Korça)
- Packard Humanities Institute
- No files have been added yet